Topics in Early Childhood Education

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Turn

I am often reminded of the fears that young children have about new experiences. One of my granddaughters recently had oral surgery and lots of discussion had to happen before the event to dispel some of her fears. I never have and still don't like going to the dentist. I remember my mother holding my hand and reassuring me as I went to visit the town dentist. Even with reassurance, it still hurt. I had a role reversal this week. My mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's, had to have some teeth removed. I was trying to reassure her, prior to going in, that everything would be fine. I don't think she totally understood, but during a lucid moment she said, "I still don't like the idea." It was much like reassuring a child. It was my turn. I am sure it still hurt.

2 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Great Aunt had Alzheimer's. I remember visiting her in the nursing home with my Grandmother, Nanny. She was always sweet and kind. We would sit and talk and have the same conversation over and over. I was young, but it was hard watching this happen to someone you love. In a way she was a lot like a child. A child is learning things and you need to repeat things to them and often have the same conversation over and over so they can learn and remember what you are saying. The conversation with my Aunt would start out with “Who are you again?” Then she would remember my mother and go on from there.

Melissa E.

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of us are privileged to be there at the beginnings and endings. No doubt your extensive work with the young ones has made you sensitive and respectful of these older ones who also have trouble making their concerns known.

I've never known anyone who was sorry later for the time they spent with their aging, yes dying, parents. It's now that you are putting "if only's" to rest as you live in the moment -- all we truly have anyway.

Over the past seven years, we've seen a generation in our family pass on. Some remained lucid to the end; some degenerated mentally as well as physically. It's a time for grief even in the times of joy as these days, bittersweet, dwindle.

Peace and Joy to you and your family in the coming special days of this Summer, 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home