Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Time...


I was asking my 'brand new second grader' granddaughter the other day how things were going in second grade. "Good," was her response. I asked what she had been doing the past week in her new class. "Well, we made visors the first day, with our names on them." I inquired about the rest of the week. She shrugged and said, "I don't know. Stuff." Somehow, there was only one stand-out memory from the week. I began to think about how time seems to pass much quicker for me than it did when I was younger. It becomes a challenge to create memories that stand out while time is whizzing by rapidly.
I also recently had dinner with a former kindergarten student, who is an adult now. I was taken back by what he remembered from my kindergarten class. He recalled our hillbilly band, learning how to read (yeah!) and the one time he got into trouble for talking too much. I don't even remember ever talking to him about behavior. He was a wonderful student. I think I was shocked that one of his first memories was one isolated time he was corrected.
Salvador Dali's "Persistence of Time" picture always makes me feel that we need to be more effective with our time, before it melts away. Particularly, when we work with small children whose brains are building life-long skills and memories. I'm committed to making myself create more positive memories for myself and those around me.

3 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Character Education Programs said...

I am here to comment about the snap really impressive one! Thanks for sharing

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger coryjonesedps3140 said...

I agree, time perception does dramatically alter as we age, but how does this realization change the way you teach? Time management is so important so how do you learn to manage your time,or what you want to do, in the classroom to be as beneficial to your students while sticking with the curriculum. How many years does it take to effectively learn this skill in a classroom setting.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Maria Millett said...

You make a great point here- time perception seems to change as we get older. This seems very apparant to me during the holdiays especially when I used to anticipate so much more than I do now, it seemed like the holidays were so long! Now it is less than twenty days until Christmas and I can't believe it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home