Topics in Early Childhood Education

Friday, November 05, 2010

Connecting the Dots

I am attending the annual NAEYC Conference in Anaheim. I always enjoy this conference because it is wonderful to see such a large group of people come together to learn what are the best practices when working with young children. One of my favorite stories is The Dot by Peter Reynolds. Vashti, the young girl in the story, learns how a simple dot can lead you on a creative and exciting journey. I feel the same way when I attend conferences. I have been attending workshops and trainings for over 30 years and you might think that I have heard everything by now. It is just the opposite. I think I am just beginning to really 'get it' about working with young children. I made a goal early on that I would make a strong effort to learn at least one new thing at every conference that would make me a better teacher. That goal has helped me develop better teaching skills as an early childhood educator and now as an adult educator teaching students to work with young children.
One example of this happened to me years ago when my school district sent me to a math workshop at Boise State University. Most of the workshops were labeled K-3 and did not have much content for me as a kindergarten teacher. However, I did learn to make little journal books at that conference. I used those books continually in my teaching from that point on and they became a major tool for teaching children to think and be creative. For me that long 3-day workshops was work every minute and dollar spent. It made me a better teacher by teaching me about a very useful tool. Those of you attending conferences and workshops should make a goal to find something that will profoundly improve your teaching and learning.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Andrew (UK) said...

Good to read about learning things at conferences, I try to do the same and if I come away with one good thing then it's all been worthwhile. The last one I went to in Birmingham (EECERA) was about the "learning edge". This is an essentially scary place you need to go to, because if you've not apprehensive and bit worried then you're not really learning anything. It's got to be scary. We try to take our students to the learning edge and hold their hands along the way!

On another matter, just what are these little books you mention? Are they a reflective journal or something you do with young children?

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Jen said...

As one of the adult students you are referring to, I greatly appreciate that you continue to educate yourself. You are a great example to the future educators. I feel inspired to always make wise choices when working on professional development in the future.

I would also like to learn more about the little books you mentioned. Sounds like your cohort students could benefit from this knowledge. : )

Jennifer W 5310

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Jackie said...

As being on of your students now for the past 3 years, it is just so inspiring to me that even today you are still learning. It just shows that the learning process for anyone is never over. I learn something new everyday from my students. Then I go to class and learn even more. If money and time allows I will try my hardest to always continue to learn.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous elpi said...

Learning has no limitation even a professional and scientist keep on learning and studying something that is new to them.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger cv said...

Hello John, thanks for this post! i too stay in salt lake..


Education CV

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger Chandu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Chandu said...

It is in recognition of those crucial roles served by early childhood education, then, that we have been increasingly seeing more attention being paid to proper training for early childhood educators.Search Marketing Company

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Learning has no limitation even a professional and scientist keep on learning and studying something that is new to them. Buy Phone Numbers

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Nagpur said...

wonderful blog spot

 
At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Business Directory India said...

thanks for great blog

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie 7
cheap jordans
jordan shoes
golden goose
off white nike
paul george shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
golden goose sneakers
golden goose outlet
golden goose outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home