Topics in Early Childhood Education

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Press Here


One of my favorite picture books published last year was, "Press Here," by Herve' Tullet. I was interested in this book because it fits nicely into my International Children's Literature course that I teach. "Press Here" is from France and was originally published the previous year in that country. If you have not had the joy of experiencing this book, please do so. It is an interactive book that encourages the reader to press dots, clap, tilt the book and other physical actions. For years, many early childhood teachers and parents have enjoyed using the book, "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," by Mo Willems, because it is so interactive for young children. "Press Here" is of the same caliber.
I remember reading a research paper years ago which suggested that children don't always get a concrete learning experiences from books read to them without interaction. The key is to make the story comprehensive by asking questions, discussing pictures or talking about the story characters. This is important to do with children, but I really love books that naturally allow the child to become part of the story. Pick up "Press Here." You will love it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:39 PM, Blogger Mike Cohen said...

I agree 100%. This is a great book!

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Cat J B said...

Hi John,

Any chance of putting a search function on your blog? I came to you through google and am after a particular topic which I saw one post on and am wondering if there is more.

Cheers, CatJB

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger RSims said...

I have not read this book, but you can be sure I have added it to my list to check out. What a great way to keep children interested in the book and become a part of the story.
I usually read a book four or five times to the children and get them involved in different ways each time. This gets them to actually learn the story over time and be involved in it. I have the children so interested they make their own props to retell the story in a new way.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Beverly Kaye said...

I humbly confess that I had been waiting for the ipad app on this LOL. Having read your review, I have looked up the book on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj81KC-Gm64
And now that I have seen how the children interact with the book - I'm thinking that is exactly what our children need. They are so used to the ipad reacting for them - maybe I need to go "back" a step and ensure we are not loosing their imagination in the touch screen generation.

Loving your blog by the way. Beverly Kaye - Manaia Kindergarten

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Gambar Rumah 3 Kamar Tidur said...

What i don’t realize is in truth how you are no longer really much more well-favored than you might be now. You are so intelligent. You realize therefore significantly in the case of this matter, made me personally consider it from numerous varied angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated except it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. Always deal with it up!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Nabila Widianti said...

Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once
agen resmi qnc jelly gamat pangkal pinang bangka belitung, cara menghilangkan benjolan di kelopak mata atas (kalazion),

 

Post a Comment

<< Home