Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day Reflections


Today is May Day. Someone on the Today show asked if anyone was going to be dancing around the Maypole. I don't suppose you find that celebration much anymore. School has certainly changed. Back in the day when I was young, school had much to do with holidays and celebrations. Today, in an effort to be politically correct and culturally sensitive, you don't see many celebrations in school. Private schools might be the exception to this rule. Some might say that it is a great loss and reflected a gentler time when children could really be children. Others will say that it is about time that we were sensitive and respectful to everyone's needs, not just the traditions of our forefathers. I would think that both sides are correct. It would be nice to return to a gentler time when there were more celebrations of life and less violent acts against life. It also makes sense to validate every cultural need, not just mainstream Christianity. Perhaps that is why I like early childhood settings. We can usually do both without causing a huge stir. Happy May Day!

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger teacher said...

Hi;

I am an Early Childhood Education Professional (got all my politically correct ducks in a row? Good) - ie a preK teacher. When I started teaching the school year went from one holiday to another. Now it is more complicated. I enjoyed your post because you don't have a hard and fast - this is what's right/wrong with the world today. I too always see both/all sides of an issue and am not sure whether that is a blessing and a curse. Anyway I wanted you to know your post was interesting and thought provoking and I enjoyed it.

cynthia

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work with a state formed agency in CA doing professional development for my 7 county region. I always spend a little time following links each week and ran up on your site. I always find interesting new things.

Great job. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home