Topics in Early Childhood Education

Friday, June 15, 2007

Making Connections

I just returned from the NAEYC Leadership Conference in Pittsburgh. I always enjoy this conference because it is made up of professional leaders and instructors in the field of early childhood. I appreciated the conference this year because of the workshops that I attended to keep my skills sharp. Past conferences have concerned me because many workshops were so high-level that I didn't understand how that information could be helpful to the teacher on the front line. This year, I found the information much more usable. I think one problem we have in education is the disconnect between "experts in the field" and the front line teacher or caregiver. We should never lose sight of how to support children on a daily basis in an effort to show how much we know.

4 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Funk,
I have to say I appreciate you keeping in touch with the "outside world." When you're involved with the major projects you describe, it would be easy to become insulated from what others are doing.

The expert/practitioner dilemma exists everywhere. I often wonder why those who are "experts" in their fields are not practicing what they preach. For instance, Girl Scout administrators lose contact with the girls they serve. An easy fix is to require them to also lead a Girl Scout troop.

My sister, an expert in the earliest of the childhood years, also takes time to care, one-on-one, of a two year old.

Most landscape architects don't get dirty. And the list goes on.

We have become a society of experts demanding proof via certifications rather than experience. We parents (and grandparents) must stay aware for the best interests of our little ones.

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, when it comes to children's education, they should make it completely understandable to all teachers. Teachers should be able to go there and actually feel that they have gained valuble information in order to improve themselves as an educator.- Tara C 2330

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Syaz from Malaysia. I need your opinion regarding the preschool curriculum. How do I contact you? Please e-mail me.

ranshenyi07@yahoo.com

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Director of an Early Childhood program I notice how when I get caught up in the administrative duties my job requires I not only lose touch with what it means to be in the classroom with the students but my teachers also see me in a different light. When I go into the classroom and interact with the teachers and students on a regular basis my input seems have be regarded differently, my teachers seem to put more faith in my recommendations when they see that I have taken the time to experience their work first hand. I have now built my daily schedule around the time I spend in classrooms instead of fitting in time in the classroom around the other things I must complete.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home