Topics in Early Childhood Education

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Felt Like a Blockhead


I have the opportunity to try out products for Discount School Supply on a regular basis. I was trying out some blocks a year ago and I was getting frustrated by my lack of imagination in creating something with the blocks. I gave the blocks to my grandson who was almost 3 at the time. He immediately set to work putting the blocks together. He was enthralled with the blocks for what I consider a very long time for someone who is 3. He loved them. When I was working with the blocks earlier, I was questioning how valuable they would be for preschool children. My grandson taught me a great lesson. Children know what is best for them. If given a choice, children will play all day. That is what they do. It becomes essential for those of us who work with young children to create opportunities for play. Almost every early childhood skill can be reinforced using play. Since children instinctively want to play, that should be our first clue about appropriate approaches to teaching children. It is through open-ended play the children learn to solve problems, explore the world and make decisions.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Anonymous accelerateddegree said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Deborah Stewart said...

You have discovered a secret we all need to learn - just let kids explore:) Our own agendas sometimes just get in the way:)

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Centers and Circle Time said...

I find that if I observe play from afar...I actually learn something!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Robby said...

I thought it was interesting that these blocks worked so well. By the looks of the picture it doesn't even look like they have any color! But sometimes the best gift you can give kids is the box that the gift came in! :)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Jeremy and Raine Rollins said...

I have felt like that before. I have seen a block and thought, a step or a building, maybe a car. When I see kids playing with it they make it a fish or a person. They even make it a robot. I sometimes wonder if my creativity left me because I discovered more about how things work or how they are made.

I watched an episode of Phineas and Ferb yesterday and they made a toy that did nothing. It sold really well because it wasn't supposed to do anything specific and so kids could turn it into anything they wanted. I think that not limiting kids in what they can and can't do is really important at young ages. Let them experiment and maybe you can learn a few things. -Raine Rollins

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also found this to be true. I spend a lot of time with children and am amazed at the simple fascination they receive from a toy. They don't play with the item for long, but when they are playing with it is like everything else falls away. I could liken this dedication to myself... when i am interested in something explore it to the fullest and then if needed move on.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Colleen Pidge said...

I loved the story as you told it in class. I have had similar experiences with children. I like that children can teach us something when we are willing to listen.

Colleen Pidge

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how children's imaginations work. They can see something brilliant in something we view as boring and uninteresting. Children are able to learn so much through something we may view as uneducation. Play for children can be so important and such a great learning tool without them even realizing it. I know the children at the preschool I work at love when the blocks are out.

Jessica P. TL 4330

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When working and spending time around children, I have found that they can play with anything and everything. It doesn't matter the shape, color, texture, etc. As long as they can pick it up, they like it! Their imaginations are incredible and that's all they need!

Jamie Nickell
TL 1010

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous nisha said...

I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas.
mba

 

Post a Comment

<< Home