Topics in Early Childhood Education

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Manifestations


I began teaching children's literature to college students in 1997. As the years have passed, I became convinced about how important it is for teachers and parents to read children's and adolescent literature. Whether you are teaching 5 year-olds or 15 year-olds, I don't think there is any better way to remind yourself how children function than by reading literature featuring young characters. Each time I read a new children's novel I feel a deeper connection to kids. I believe that good teachers read children's literature.
I just finished reading the current Newbery Medal winner, Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. Abilene Tucker, the main character, is sent by her father to the town of Manifest for the summer. True to it's name, the town and citizens reveal to Abilene their unusual history and how her father fits into their existence. The town folk also have a few things manifested to them as Abilene searches through the history of the town. I think the manifestation that came to me during reading is how children interpret what they are told using what background knowledge they have acquired. It reminded me again that when you tell a child something, your interpretation of those instructions may not be the same translation in the child's head. Children can create an entirely different experience out of the simplest suggestion.
You learn a lot about children by reading. Check out Moon Over Manifest and see what is manifested to you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe that good teachers read children's literature." That is a very interesting insight. I love reading children's literature. I will have to check out Moon Over Manifest. Thanks for the post!
Elizabeth F. FCS 5170

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this post very interesting. I think it is a great way to connect with the children! I love reading children's literature, and I'm excited that it would make me a good teacher!
Maida K. FCS 5170

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you left a great post. After reading I am interested in reading "Mon Over Manifest" I find it interested in how children interpret things. Learning about children is a great ecperince

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger HALOJane said...

I enjoyed your post and will see if my local library has a copy of Moon Over Manifest.

I agree with you, children, especially those ages 3-6, interpret many things they see in life – good and bad - and it is very important they are taught how to make healthy life long choices at an early age.

Our HALO program for preschool children has lots of wonderful age appropriate activities that introduce children to healthy lifetime concepts. Learn more at: www.haloforkids.org.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home