Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, August 27, 2012

And School Begins...

It is that season again when most school systems begin a new academic year.  We started classes at the university last Monday, but most of the public school districts in our area begin in the next few days.  I took the opportunity last week to visit my student teaching candidates as they were helping their site teachers with classroom setup.  The old "beginning of the year" excitement was very evident in every school I visited.  I remember that excitement well as I enjoyed setting up my classroom every fall for almost 25 years.  Later this week, I will meet with my candidates and begin our semester-long course on classroom management.  To me, effectively managing a classroom is the key to everything for the year.  A teacher cannot teach successfully, or children learn successfully, without an effective classroom routine.  Research tells us that it is the attitude of the teacher that is the key factor in teaching reading, math, and other academic subjects.  My job this semester is to model for my student teachers how human development should be the foundation of that classroom management.  Our educational system is so focused on academic teaching that teachers don't receive a lot of support for meeting the needs of their students using developmental principles. Those principles are the key to understanding how students function. It is not just early childhood children who should reap the benefits of developmentally appropriate practice. Understanding the developmental stage of a 9 year-old will be a tremendous help for the teacher in a fourth grade classroom. My job is to help my group of future teachers understand those principles.

Labels:

15 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Laurie Sanders said...

Awesome...

 
At 4:17 AM, Anonymous susan said...

very nice..
<a href="http://www.canscribe.com/”>Medical Transcription & Computer Courses – Online Learning</a> - CanScribe Career College is accredited by the Private Career Training Institutions Agency (PCTIA) of British Columbia. Offer online courses from the comfort of the home or onsite.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Eric Wyant Eric said...

It has been noticed that in all over the world making an investment in education and studying system to support a School are now making an investment more attention to their educational system and there environmet

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Charles Smith said...

Kids are the biggest delights from God. If there were no children, we would have no wish, no really like and no objective to achieve. Yet you discover so many children who are not so fortunate as to have the fundamentals in lifestyle, no house to remain in, no meals to eat, no drugs for their wellness and they have been discontinued on the road. For no mistake of theirs they are the affected individuals of situation, so you could attract a kid through sponsor a child
organization and help these kids the items in lifestyle that they truly are entitled to.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are the developmental principals teachers should be considering?

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Dana S said...

I agree that classroom management is very important as well as the attitude of the teacher. I am a student still majoring in grades pre-k-3rd do you have any tips for having good classroom management?

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Tom said...

This is certainly Nice posts. Lots of suggestions
CLICK HERE

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Threshold Collegiate said...

great ideas you have shared i really need these ideas i will follow when would i join as soon
THANKS Laurie Sanders

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Threshold Collegiate said...

It was great step for making our childhood education more beneficial for us & we want make a investment in our country education because it was good for our country future.. he takes a very good steps for his country... good keep it up..

 
At 4:38 AM, Blogger kpinstituteforhealthpolicy said...

It goes without saying that education is very important for everyone. If you are educated and you have earned your degree in any of professional field you can expect to be a part of good organizations, institutions and companies.

Education Blog

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Kids Cds said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.Children Dvds

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger Kuber Natarajan said...

Its a great idea and thanks for sharing the information with us.
Children dvds

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger buzzCus.com said...

Such a good article. Now I am a father of 2 little girls, i have more interest to shoot photos if kids and babies, these tips are so helpful. Please learn more about your KIDS here kidsvedas.com

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Joe Adrian said...

You are so cool! I do not think I have read something like this before. So wonderful to discover someone with some original thoughts on this subject matter. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up....... by
ACC 545 Week 4 provider.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Will Jenkins said...

I wish my kids would get as excited for school as you and this article does ha ha. But you are right, the classroom atmosphere needs to feel "right" for kids to want to learn and not goof around. I can remember my kindergarten days and I had fun, but if it weren't for the teacher I had, I probably would have a bad memory.

Will Jenkins | http://www.youngscholarsacademycolorado.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home