Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Evaluation Time

As we reach the end of the traditional school year, many teachers take time to assess where each child is functioning. It is appropriate to report to parents the progress their child made during the school year. I think it is also critical to share with parents the developmental continuum of progress. Sharing information about skills that are appropriate for a child's age level is useful information for parents. It helps them understand where their child is functioning on the developmental road map. It also helps parents who have unrealistic expectations for their child. As long as it is done appropriately, tracking a child's progress is critical to helping a child succeed.

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Funk,
I am always heartened when parents, who may be obsessing, learn something of child development and begin to enjoy the moment in their child's life.

With my girls, I always support them in their efforts, even now at ages 24 - 32. In the school days, we used summers for fun activities and some reviewing and catching up, if necessary.

But, if a teacher called anything to my attention, we addressed it immediately.

Having that information was vital to my teaching job as parent. Those who shared their expertise with me will have special stars in their crowns one day.

Keep those teacher a'coming.

Grandmama Sarah

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Lostmystic76 said...

I wish there were more teachers in the world such as yourself. It's so vital for the parents to be involved in what their children are learning. It has always surprised me when parents do not take an active role as I've always viewed this time as a wonderful opportunity to not only help your child succeed in life but a wonderful way to bond as well. Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of children from broken marriages?

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Funk,
First, I would like to comgratulate you.You Know and now I know much more about assesing young children. I am a brazilian teacher. I teach English as a second language and Iam finishing to write about assessment in English for young children. I think you know how hard is to find material about this subject. I got very impressed about POCET and I tried hard to have acess to one sample of assessment of this program, but I couldn´t . Is there a way to have a sample? It would be very helpful for many teachers in Brazil to know about your work.I am writing a monograph and I mention your work. I didn´t mean to bother you . Sincerely
Rosalba Lago Vanz

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a great blog Mr. Funk.
It is crucial to let parents what their children progress is. But it is also important to keep track all the progress that each child has done.

Santos M. TL 2330

 

Post a Comment

<< Home