Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, February 05, 2007

Head Start Reminder


I had the opportunity to present a workshop at the California Head Start Association conference in Newport Beach this past week. It is always delightful to meet with Head Start folks. It reminds me how much I miss working with that population. Even with the government jerking funding around in the last couple of years, these dedicated people keep providing services to children and families. It is the family aspect that makes Head Start so wonderful. I wish that we could provide the same family support for parents in K-2 classrooms. It would take care of many problems we encounter as the children get older and parents' support of education wanes. It would take some funding, but I think that in the long run it would be much cheaper. Investing in early childhood is always cost-effective. Just look at the research!

3 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first thing that caught my eye was Newport Beach. I LOVE that place. I vacation there quite often. I think it is awesome how involved you are with education. I agree that there is so much that can be done to help! This is a neat page! I enjoyed looking over it! -Mary Hales (Mon. night Class)

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely agree that the Head Start program is wonderful for the children and families. I think many of the low income families in Salt Lake would like this program. Their children would get the attention they need in school that their parents are not able to give them. In the future, I hope I am as invovled with children's education as you are!- Sara Salam (2330-1)

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree as well about the wonderful aspects Head Start has to offer. I currently work for a program in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, we seem to be more and more unable to keep our enrollment numbers with the addition of the Pre-K counts program in our area. The resources they offer to families do not compare to what Head Start offers, however, families want more from agencies such as full day programs that our budget doesn't accomodate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home