Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, June 01, 2009

She Can't Talk!

Every spring the turtle in our backyard pond goes wandering. We think it has something to do with trying to lay eggs, but we need to keep one hole underneath the gate blocked so she can't leave the yard. Neighbors have found her in the street, etc. I took this picture of Gertrude trying to escape and sent it to my grandkids in California. When my daughter showed it to her 2 year-old and said, "Papa's turtle just came out to say hello." My granddaughter replied, "She can't talk!" It reminded me of the old story about the answer from a kindergarten boy when listening to a story of the Three Pigs. When the first pig asked the man for straw to build a house, the teacher asked, "What do you think that man said?" The little boy replied, "I'll be damned, a talking pig!"

Children are so literal and yet so imaginative and creative if given a chance. I love big mouth hand puppets because they give the child an opportunity to allow the animals to talk and tell their own stories. Something tells me that my granddaughter wouldn't have any problem allowing a turtle hand puppet to talk! She is coming to visit soon, we'll see what she finds out about the turtle.

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, that is such a wonderful and funny story. I love working with young children and part of that is listening to the silly things they have to say. Most of the time the things they say are very silly but also very true. It is almost like adults do not have the heart or courage to say it but the children have no problem.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really love the innocence and honesty that children have about them. I giggled so hard one day teaching a 5 year old little boy in church. He said, "I know we are not sapose to say these words. Then he told me a few swear words. But he looked me staight in the face and said, "but I know we don't say those words in church". I can't wait to start teaching and have many of these stories. CherieL. I wondered how old Mr.Funks turtle is? We had one we named mable and it is still alive must be about 18 years old. It went to live at my sisters in Oklahoma because she has a pond.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this was such a great story. I like it when children do and say silly things. I once had a turtle that my daughter that was a riding toy. She would sit on it and yell "yee ha" like she was a cowboy. It always made me laugh because I knew how slow turtles actually were.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been working at my job for almost four years and the old saying about kids saying the darndest things is very true. Just when I think I have heard it all another child says or does something I would have never dreamed they would do.
On the subject of turtles, I took my son to the petting zoo for the first time and he had a blast. I think his favorite part was the turtles. The had one walking around in the petting zoo and he followed it around trying to catch it or sit on it. He is only one so my family and I thought this was very funny and I actually thought about getting him a turtle, and we did a small stuffed turtle from the zoo gift shop. So altogether it was a fun day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home