Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Family Field Trips


This is the time of year when many families and groups take small vacations or driving trips. For preschool children, these trips can be long and uninteresting. One thing parents can do is work on the child's basic skills while traveling. Have the child find alphabet letters on signs, both street and billboard signs. If the child knows the alphabet letters, have him/her count how many "A" letters are found (or any other letter of choice). This will provide help in recognizing letters and also in counting. Another fun activity is to remember and recite as many nursery rhymes as possible. This is a great reinforcement for phonemic awareness, which is essential for early reading skills. Make the trip fun!

3 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this technique. You would be amazed at how much young children pick in terms of their literacy awareness and alpabetic knowledge when we let them observe the world around them...especially on a road trip!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jana Raddon
Some of my most fondest memories are when my family and I were on the road. My mom and dad were always good at keeping us kiddies occupied. Mom had a lot of 'silly songs' that I still remember to this day. And the whole family took part in the 'Alphabet Game' where we have to find letters at the beginning of words on signs or passing vehicles before another family member does. I was working on my letter recognition at a very young age, as well as my competitiveness. :)

 
At 5:27 AM, Anonymous promo tupperware said...

I have learn from your article easily it is benifit for me recomended other every readers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home