Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Authentic Assessments-Revisited

There was a question comment on my entry of January 3rd about where to find authentic assessments. In my experience, it is critical for the teacher or caregiver to have a roadmap of skills that are appropriate for the age of children she is working with at the time. That is why I wrote the "POCET" program for Discount School Supply. As part of NAEYC's accreditation standards, Standard 4 – Assessment of Child Progress: The program is informed by ongoing systematic, formal, and informal assessment approaches to provide information on children’s learning and development. These assessments occur within the context of reciprocal communications with families and with sensitivity to cultural contexts in which children develop. Assessment results are used to benefit children by informing sound decisions about children, teaching, and program improvement*." It is important to remember that making assessments authentic is the APPROACH we take with the child. When we have a roadmap of appropriate skills and we administer each assessment in a developmentally appropriate way, it is an authentic assessment. As mentioned above, authentic assessment means multiple measures, not just one tool.

2 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I've been able to learn more about assessment in your class. I'm starting to realize now just how important it is to have authentic assessment in every classroom. The idea behind authentic assessment makes perfect sense though; you're not able to understand all about a child from just one measurement. By constantly integrating assessment into your every-day classroom, you are able to get more accurate results and conclusions. I only hope that I will be able to practice and become efficient in assessing my students when I become a teacher!

Desarae B. FCS 5170

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Funk,
Years ago I was at a conference where you addressed children's penmanship. You said you did not believe in children using formal tools before their small muscle skills were developed. You used other methods to teach them to enhance their skills.
I was hoping to hear more from you on the subject.
Maureen
momandtim@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home