Topics in Early Childhood Education

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Does the Paint Come Out?

A local group of preschool teachers and directors asked me to come and show the art materials (paint mostly) that are available at Discount School Supply. Although I do numerous workshops each year, I haven't done a hands-on art workshop in a long time. We have renovated our entire house this summer so much of my teaching stuff is still in storage, including aprons. I dressed up today for the workshop and began demonstrating Biocolor and Liquid Watercolor paints. As I opened one jar of purple paint, it shot with an air bubble out of the lid and onto my (new) shirt. The label says 'washable.' Thank goodness when I got home I found that it really was washable. It brought back many memories of how I would dress and plan for clean up when I was a teacher. I never let mess keep me from providing a fun project for the children, but I think I had forgotten just how messy it is! At least the purple paint is gone and the teachers have new materials and ideas. A win-win.

5 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly agree with what you are saying. Sometimes as early childhood educators we find that we have to clean up a mess or we are a mess by the time we get home. I don't believe in not dressing my best for my students. I believe that even if I do get my good clothes dirty these clothes are not as important as getting across a point or teaching my children to be successful.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always tell the parents of the children in my classroom that if their clothes are dirty and not tucked in anymore than it means that they had a good day. i personally have special clothes that i will only wear to work, well they are not as much special as they stained and dirty from play doh and bleach. i feel that part of the job is getting dirty and i dont mind it at all.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I teach preschool at a local public school. The parents of our 3 year olds think that these kids should be getting ready for kindergarten by tracing their names, learning their ABC's and 1,2,3's. I would love to find some articles that would convince them - we need to just let kids be kids! Let them get messy and fingerpaint and play in the dirt. That's how we learned wen we were kids!

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is absolutely LUDACRIS~

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth is this monstrosity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home