Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, February 26, 2007

It is Hard to be a Responsible Caregiver


Spend some time with small children and you realize (or remember) how hard it is to be a good parent or grandparent. I recently helped drive my daughter and her children back home to California. It was a very long trip. Besides having one sick child, we also had my 7 month-old granddaughter to entertain in a car seat. She did very well until the last 2 hours of the trip. She wanted out of the car seat. She kept looking at Papa (me), pulling at her seat belts and screaming. Her look said, "Why are you doing this to me?" It was difficult not to unbelt her and hold her during that time. This family already lived through a terrible crash two years ago so my daughter is very safety conscious. I am, as well, so my granddaughter stayed in the seat. It reminded me again that responsible parenting (and grandparenting) takes patience. Giving in helps create irresponsible children. We have enough of those already.

6 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how you integrate your life experience into your blog.

I'm quite bowled over.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too realize how hard parenting is when I'm around small children. Although I haven't been a parent, being around my 24 neices and nephews gives me a good idea of what I'm in for. I say that anyone thinking of having a child needs to go and spend a couple days around children to see if they're mature enough for the job. It's funny, everytime I get around my friends babies I love them so much but realize what a life changing experience it is. =)

S. Longaker T&L 2330

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts always interest me, and sometimes inspire me to comment. As my sister and I are blogging on dining with toddlers, your post inspires me to write one on traveling with infants and toddlers.

Us adult folk are interested in getting from here to there. That's true even when we're being sensitive of the needs and desires of small ones. And, long trips can be particularly grueling.

I'm sure that cutie in the picture did want out. Compare the seat in which she was restrained to that on which you rode. A thin pad over a hard plastic shell compared to your upholstered, padded and innerspring constructed seat.

I'd be imploring you, too, for a release, especially one longer than for a feeding or diaper change. A chance to stretch and roll around unfettered. Most adults need ten or fifteen minutes every two hours. We have more room for movement within our confinement.

It's a hard call when you're traveling in inclement weather with non-walkers. Not the least, she had someone who loved her to whom she could express her distress.

Giving in, in this case, would have meant stopping the car very frequently those last few hours, a real test of patience, one, I fear, you did not win.

There's always next time, thank God, when you insist on safety.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree! I am not a parent but i spend quite a bit of my time with children. I am a nanny and from my experience of dealing with sick or upset children, it is very hard to be patient. I have definately had my patience tested a number of times. I do agree taht giving in is a weakness of parents. CHildren need to be taught responsibility and how to follow what they are to do. I think that people need to have an idea of the patience needed for parents. It is too bad that more people do not realize that before becomeing parents! Abbie C. T&L 2330-2

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children are amazing. You forget what is was like to be a child until you are around them.



Emi C. TL 2330-1

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
kd shoes
kd 12 shoes
yeezy
moncler
goyard
bape
off white outlet
jordans
yeezy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home