Topics in Early Childhood Education

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Reality Check


For those of us who are no longer in a classroom on a daily basis, there is a great reality check that comes when you are responsible for little children for a period of time. I recently babysat two of my granddaughters (ages 5 & 2 1/2) while their parents were out of town for a couple of days. I seemed to have forgotten that little children need constant interaction. I admit that I was worn out and was reminded that I am very glad I had my small children while I was much younger. Still, it was a delightful experience, one that I would gladly repeat at any time. We made cookies, went to a movie, walked to the bookstore, read stories and many other activities. Little children remind you about what is truly important in life. They remind me that life is about making someone else feel loved. Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Grandmama Sarah said...

John,
As you found, caring for your own is a delight and a joy best followed by a nap.

My sister and I have found that a key component in these special moments is undivided attention. No phone, no tv, no computer, no distractions.

Otherwise, we're thrown back into the "good ole days" of parenting when we were torn by multiple responsibilities.

What a blessing to truly "be" with these ones so precious to us.

Peace to you and yours in the New Year,
Sarah

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Danny W said...

This is a great postt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home