Topics in Early Childhood Education

Friday, September 21, 2007

Finding the Leaks

We have been creating two ponds and a stream in our back yard. It has taken a long time because it has been so hot this summer. Once we had everything in place, the water level kept going down, signaling a leak (or two) somewhere. We have redone the stream/pond numerous times. Even though the decreasing water level has slowed, it is still there. This whole experience has reminding me of working with children. One thing I teach the students in my early reading class is that even the best methods for teaching reading do not work with all children. We need to continue to look for leaks, trying every angle and approach we can, so that we can remedy the problem. It takes a lot of effort and it is sometimes discouraging. But, we don't give up on children....or leaks.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that you need to look for different ways to teach different kids. After having my first child I thought that I knew just what to do with my second child. But instead I learned that I had to change my ways of teaching for him to learn the same things my daughter already had learned. I enjoy taking your 2330 class and you have brought new books to my attention that my kids just love. I love reading to my kids and I am glad to learn new things about literature.

Jenny G

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently observing a resource room at Washington Elementary and I am seeing over and over how children learn so differently and it seems like we see a lot of the "leaks" in the resource rooms- the ones that need that little extra bit of help. Watching the teacher constantly tweak her teaching strategies is really great and encouraging- what an artist! It reinforces to me how extremely important it is to be flexible and creative and to never, never, never give up on those "leaks"!!
Hannah R. (2330-1)
PS- really loving the class!! So much fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home