Topics in Early Childhood Education

Monday, October 15, 2007

Appropriate Practice-cont.

I should have done a better job last posting of explaining about my 'adopted' grandchildren. Those two cuties are not my grandchildren, but my friends. They are part of my life so they call me their 'adopted grandpa.'
The point of my posting was my frustration at teachers who fall into the trap of providing inappropriate classrooms when they should know better. One classroom I visited is taught by a second-year teacher. She graduated from a very appropriate early childhood program. All she did the entire time I was there (the full 3 hours) was shove dittoed worksheets in front of the children. No teaching, reading aloud, discussions or anything that kindergarten children desperately need. ALL kindergarten children deserve better.

3 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this situation so sad. To think of those little ones doing worksheet after worksheet. There are so many resources available to teachers, why resort to worksheets? I think many think they are easier. They take more time to prepare and are so much less engaging than letting a child express some creativity. One of the best resources is children's literature. It can teach so many different things and is so enjoyable for both children and adults. I am currently a student teacher and have observed in classrooms much like this one that you described. I get bored watching them do worksheets. I believe it is a safe assumption that most of those children feel the same way. Those poor kids. How will they ever develop a love for learning if all they get to do is worksheets? Children need and deserve much better. You are absolutely right.... it is hard to know so much and not be able to take control over the situation and make everything better.
Carly 6220

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your article. I am a ECE and with a son in kindergarten. I would really like to get your opinion on "coloring sheets". I hate them and don't feel that they really benefit a child. Do you know where I can find information to give to my son's elementary school and kindergarten class regarding color sheets? Thanks.

 
At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this situation happens more often than we think. My sister-in-law recently told me about a similar situation in California. The children were not being appropriately engaged. I think doing so many worksheets does not create a love for learning. Social ineraction is an essential part of children's learning and needs to incorporated throughout the day. I think it is important to engage children in activities that are meaninful and applicable to thier lives. As a student teacher I have had many oppurtunities to see situations that I like and don't like. I want my classroom to be a place where children are being engaged appropriately and develop a love for learning. I also want to provide them many oppurtunities to interact with other children.

Melissa Hansen (TL reading and writing)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home