Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The End is the Beginning..


I recently had a friend graduate from high school as the valedictorian. We always knew he was very intelligent and would do well. I would take Tom to the library when he was young and he would check out 20-25 books. This made me a bit nervous until his dad assured me that he would get through them all during the three-week checkout time. I remember watching a program with him on the History Channel about how thimbles were made. That is the last thing I wanted to know, but I watched it with him as he was so engrossed in the program. I also remember a discussion with him about nuclear fusion and what it will eventually be able to do (something I still don't understand!). Tom was intelligent beyond my abilities years ago. It didn't surprise me that he was first in his class. What I relish is the fact that everyone around him encouraged and allowed him intellectual freedom. He now starts on a new beginning with the help of a full scholarship to a great university. I wish all children had this great support for development.

2 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hello John,
I was excited to see your picture and realize that you are that same Johnny Funk that I was friends with years ago. I attended South Emery Jr High in Ferron and Emery Co High School.

I am doing a research paper for a class I am taking here at Indiana University. I am in my last semester of my Bachelors degree.

Congratulations on your accomplsihments.

I am Susan Bean Humphrey.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. Those of us in early childhood don't always enjoy "seeing" the results of a childhood such as your friends. I was strunk by your closing comment: I do think it's time more of us stop "wishing" and figure out a way to make this kind of childhood work for more than a few.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home