Topics in Early Childhood Education

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Lost Teeth


My granddaughter lost her first baby tooth this past week. Such a growing-up milestone! When your my age, losing a tooth would be a growing-OLD milestone. Not one that I want to experience anytime soon. The new lost tooth, however, does represent a growth process in the physical development of a young child. It might be nice if cognitive and emotional growth developmental milestones gave us a physical reminder of what to do, also. Unfortunately, when a child does not recognize the letters of the alphabet, the adult needs to diagnose where she is functioning to determine what activity would help her develop that skill. Many early childhood teachers have not been equipped with the skills to do a proper diagnosis. Think of how much training a doctor requires to be able to diagnose an illness or a physical developmental stage. As impractical as it sounds, it might be nice if teachers of young children had a similar intensive training as they are charged with the emotional, cognitive and mental health of a child.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Pizza Cutter said...

A fantastic combo of personal stories with actual lessons about children. I'm a child psych graduate student (and fellow blogger) myself and stumbled on you through the ever-dangerous "next blog" button. I'm going to link you as my official "next blog" of the day. Great work.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I read your entry today about how a doctor needs so much intensive training, it reminded me of what I always say....everyone needs a license to drive and fish but yet they don't need one to parent! hello! A lot of parents don't get the education they need before having children and i'm so grateful for you as a Professor and the U of U's FCS program. Both have taught me so much about child development.....and I still don't feel ready to be a mom!
Cute grand daughter by the way..missing teeth is so exctiting
-Brooklyn Wilson - Tues night TL2330

 
At 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

childhood education is need for every children.today position the doctors requiredfor the physical developmental stage.in my childhood also i get great moment from others.
_________________________________

raulsamson

Utah Drug Treatment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home