Topics in Early Childhood Education

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ouch!

I was out for a run yesterday and got hit by a car. Actually, the car backed into me and because I was running I did a left-side nose dive into the pavement. It really hurt. I'm not sure the driver of the car knew that it hit me because he/she sped off. I spent many hours in the hospital and finally was released last night. I just had lacerations and burns, no fractures (for which I am truly grateful). But, I was interested in how they cross-checked things at the hospital before they let me leave. I know how accurate they wanted to be so that I could repair and again be healthy. I wish we had a similar cross-check for children's development. It would be great if every child had gained every bit of skill and knowledge necessary before entering kindergarten and again before leaving high school. I know we try our best to have a cross-check system, but social stigma and social status can sometimes get in the way. I guess we can't guarantee academic learning any more than a doctor can guarantee that we will never get sick or injured. It just would be nice...

1 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch is right!! It is awful to hear that someone backed into you. I'm sure I speak for all of your family, friends, and students, when I say, "i'm glad that you were not hurt very badly." It just goes to show, everyone needs to be a little more cautious when we are driving. I hope you were able to find the person who hit you. Nevertheless it is great to hear that you were out getting some exercise. All of us adults and our children could learn a lesson from you about keeping in shape. P.S. Don't give up on the running :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home