Topics in Early Childhood Education

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Designing Supportive Environments


In my last entry I mentioned that the most critical piece of the social emotional aspect of early childhood is building positive relationships. The second most important piece is designing supportive environments. When negative behaviors are occurring, a teacher should analyze the basic set up of the classroom to see if the environment is encouraging negative behaviors (i.e., a large open space encouraging the children to run around instead of exploring at centers). I find that this is also true at home. I had all of my grandchildren at my house for an early Thanksgiving this weekend. We needed to plan a space where all the children could play comfortably so that disagreements would not occur. I was busy cooking, so I didn't do a very good job. When I took the time to look at the space, everything was better. Next time I will be more prepared. It is always important to remember our early childhood strategies because they work everywhere!

4 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with your idea on "building positive relationships" and "desiging supportive environments". In taking classes this fall, many of my teachers have talked a lot about these two things and how important they are, especially with young children. I think a child's learning environment is one of the most important aspects in a classroom!
Danielle Knoles (mon night class)

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the environment that children are in effect their behavior and attitude. It is hard to learn in an environment where you feel crowded and have no personal space. Also, there needs to be room for movement to play, especially for children at a young age.
Ashley Cowan (Monday night class)

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a supportive environment especially young children who are in a sensitive developing stage. I definitely see improvements in my kids at work when they are given the support they need to be successful.

I have a student I am working with who is failing miserably at reading... I have exhausted all my ideas and resources, do you have any suggestions?

Thx, Tina Dinh (t&l 2330)

 
At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my children's first teacher, I really identify with boundaries, appropriate action and consequences (especially in consultation with those whose behavior is being addressed.)

The parent's or teacher's corollary also needs to be to always reinforce those boundaries and consequences. Waffling does not help anyone-adult or child. I believe it was Dr. James Dobson who said a junior high teacher could never crack a smile until after Thanksgiving for similar reasons.

It gives great comfort to growing children to know where the boundaries are and to internalize those boundaries from participating in those decisions.

Grandma Sarah
(http://babyblanketblues.blogspot.com/)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home